The Golden Vale ( Machaire méith na Mumhan), an area of rolling pastureland covering parts of three counties, Limerick, Tipperary, and Cork is the best land in Ireland for dairy farming. At times it has been called the Golden Vein as evidenced by a mention in the 1837 book by Johathan Binns where he states that "the golden vale" (more correctly the "golden vein")" "The land is of excellent quality, being part of the golden vein of Ireland—a district reaching from Tipperary towards Limerick. The extent of the golden vein is about fourteen miles long, by six or seven wide."Wikipedia "Golden Vale"
Ask About Ireland - Golden Vale
MOGORBANE, a parish, in the barony of MIDDLETHIRD, county of TIPPERARY, and province of MUNSTER, 5 miles (E.) from Cashel, on the road from Clonmel to Thurles and Nenagh ; containing 1282 inhabitants. It comprises 6522 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, and contains an abundance of limestone. The principal seats are Mobarnan Manor, the handsome and well-planted demesne of M. Jacob, Esq. ; Beechmount, the residence of T. G. Phillips, Esq. ; and Silverfort, of J. Scully, Esq. It is a perpetual curacy, in the diocese of Cashel, and in the gift of the Archbishop, to whose mensal the rectory is appropriate. The tithes, amounting to #230, are entirely payable to the archbishop, who allows a stipend to the curate: there is a glebe-house. The church is a neat Gothic structure, built about 20 years since, In the R. C. divisions the parish forms part of the union or district of Killenaule, and has a chapel at Moyglass, In the parochial school, built on an acre of ground given by S. Jacob, Esq., who also contributed #40 towards its erection, about 40 children are educated ; and there are two private schools, containing about 170 children. Some remains of Mobarnan and Ballyvaiden castles still exist ; and there are several ancient forts... Samuel Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland 1837
|National Archives of Ireland 004625697/004625697_00070|
When Griffith's valuations were taken in the 1850s there were about 20 families living in the townland, including British landlord, Sir John Fitzgerald, owner in fee of the entire townland. There was no Dunn family, but Edward Lonergan leased a house and garden from Michael Slattery.
In 1901 there were 39 people living in nine households. Families names include Bowes, Connell, McNamara, Browne, Roche, Luby, Egan, Dea, and Prendergast. In 1911 the number had dwindled to 33.
Mocklershill is in the Catholic Parish of Killenaule. The available parish registers start as early as 1742 for baptisms and 1812 for marriages.